JUNIOR UNDERWRITER COMMERCIAL LINES
We are a leading supplier of property and casualty insurance in Canada, providing innovative underwriting solutions to licensed brokers across Canada. We offer a broad range of products servicing businesses in one of our core segments: Hospitality, Recreation & Resorts, Construction (COC), Contractors, Professional Insurance, Real Estate, Transportation and more. Our underwriting expertise and facilities let us write even the toughest risks or solve that small wrinkle in what might otherwise be a standard risk. We are seeking an Underwriter to join our segment.
Working as part of a team, you are responsible for analyzing the acceptability of business opportunities according to company guidelines. This includes reviewing and pricing new submissions, renewal business and endorsements.
As a Junior Commercial Underwriter, you will help drive the growth and profitability of SPGC. You will build broker relationships and leverage your expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers, and executives, we provide an extensive range of products, ample capacity, and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, you will work collaboratively with your colleagues and management to provide value-added expertise and exceptional service to our broker partners.
This position will:
- Perform risk analysis using internal and external data resources for the purpose of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the renewal of existing policies of a low to moderate complexity based on guidelines and retention goals of the company;
- Handle endorsement requests within delegated authority. Independently engages with broker to clarify intent of the request or seek missing information;
- Develop and support professional business partnerships with brokers by providing prompt service, responding to inquiries, acting pro-actively and taking ownership of issues and resolving them with a solution-oriented approach;
- Communicate decisions and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner;
- Build and maintain positive working relationship with internal and external parties, including attending industry related seminars and networking events as necessary;
- Negotiate coverage with brokers within and delegated authority parameters;
- Manage, strengthen, and grow a book of profitable business;
- Maintain compliance with established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters;
- Work independently to meet deadlines following company guidelines to accomplish goals;
- Take ownership of work-related activities and follow through on your commitments;
- Deal effectively with pressure, maintain a positive outlook and recover quickly from setbacks;
- Prioritize and complete tasks to deliver desired outcomes within allocated time frames;
- Take personal responsibility and action toward learning and implementing new ideas, method, and technologies;
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
- Exhibit good decision-making and analytical skills;
- Document assigned files ensuring completeness, compliance, and quality to meet the documentation standards. Keep paper free environment by uploading the documents on our company software; and
- Complete loss reports and post-claim underwriting reviews.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
You’re a good fit if you have:
- Have at least 1 year of commercial underwriting or commercial brokering experience;
- Hold a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation (or are actively pursuing);
- Hold a broker license (level 1 or 2), or can qualify for a license within 90 days;
- Can type a minimum of 40 words per minute;
- Are proficient to an intermediate level in Microsoft Outlook and Word;
- Are familiar with the basic legal structures in Canada; and
- Can work in one of our offices at least three days a week.
- High School or equivalent
- Some college
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
By joining Cansure, you’ll become part of a rapidly growing company focused on providing innovative insurance solutions to support independent brokers in Canada. As a member of our team, you’ll
- A dynamic, fast-paced work environment with boundless opportunities for professional growth;
- Ongoing skills development with subsidies for tuition and professional accreditation;
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity and passion in meaningful ways;
- Extended health & dental benefits and company-matched RRSP contributions; and
- Competitive salary with potential for annual bonus.
The expected salary range for this position is $48,000-$58,000 will be impacted by factors such as the successful candidate’s skills, experience and working location, as well as the specific position’s business line, scope, and level. Specialty Program Group Canada and affiliated brands is proud to offer comprehensive benefit and total compensation packages which include extended health and dental benefits, disability insurance, RRSP matching, paid time off benefits, and a variety of potential bonus opportunities.
If you are looking to join a company where you can proudly bring your whole self to work, we invite you to apply today. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion means that whoever you are, and whatever path you’ve taken to get here, we value you at Cansure. We know that diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, interests, and skills are essential to build a great community that serves ALL people. If you can help drive success and have fun while doing it, we can’t wait to meet you!
Send your cover letter and resume today at email@example.com and take the next step in your Underwriting career!