Give your career a “Jump Start!” and take the leap into the thriving world of Commercial Underwriting. It’s time to break the mold and discover the excitement hidden within the insurance industry. Commercial Underwriting, often overlooked as a career but full of opportunities, is now at your fingertips. No prior insurance knowledge required – just bring your ambition, determination, and curiosity. Our exclusive JumpStart! program provides backstage access, guiding you through an accelerated learning experience and on the job training. This is your chance to launch a career you can truly be proud of. Seize the opportunity and give your career the Jump Start! it deserves!
Specialty Program Group Canada is a fast-paced insurance Managing General Agency (MGA) that provides innovative underwriting solutions for our network of brokers across Canada through our trade brands: Cansure, Beacon, i3 Underwriting, and Specialty Claims Canada. Our success as Canada’s largest independent MGA is based on our innovation, hospitality-level service, and living our values every day. We are a thriving, growing organization, providing stable and fulfilling careers for over 300 people across Canada.
We are inviting a cohort of 10 – 15 engaged candidates to work through an accelerated learning program with on-the-job experience in our Vancouver office. This intensive program starts with insurance licensing exam prep and includes real-world examples of policies and risks for a variety of commercial products. In less than 3 months you will have the essential knowledge to be placed in one of our teams as an Underwriting Trainee.
Working within a team, you will be responsible for analyzing the acceptability of business opportunities according to company guidelines. This includes reviewing and pricing of new submissions, renewal business and endorsements.
As a Commercial Underwriter, you will help drive the growth and profitability of SPGC. You will build broker relationships and leverage your expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book of business. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers, and executives, we provide an extensive array of products, ample capacity, and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, you will work collaboratively with your colleagues and management to provide value added expertise and exceptional service to our broker partners.
This is an in-office role in Vancouver, with potential for hybrid working after 6 months. Our office is easily accessed by public transit.
You understand that an accelerated program to a fulfilling career won’t be easy, but you’re ambitious and determined in achieving your goals. Our corporate values resonate with you:
- Be Entrepreneurial. Taking ownership of your work and having passion about exceeding customer expectations, you take great pride in the results you and your team achieve through hard work and dedication to delivering exceptional customer experiences.
- Be Creative. You strive to be better every day, knowing that innovation and constant improvement are the keys to success. Understanding there is always room for growth, you are committed to seeking out new ways to create value and improve experiences.
- Promote Continuous Growth. Great importance is placed on collaboration, where ideas and knowledge are freely shared, facilitating a growth mindset that benefits your own growth, that of your team, and of our business.
- Practice Inclusivity, Openness, and Equity. You value and celebrate diversity knowing it is the varied opinions, approaches, perspectives, and talents that fuel innovation and shape the culture of an organization.
- Uphold Trust, Respect, and Accountability. Being your best self and encouraging the same in your teammates fosters entrepreneurism, creativity, accountability, personal growth, and exceptional customer service experiences.
- Practice Passionate Balance and Have Fun! Your passion for your work, customers, and colleagues is unwavering. Making a positive impact is what drives you and makes the day enjoyable. Understanding a healthy work-life integration and practicing disconnection to recharge fosters engagement in both your personal and professional life.
- Contribute to Community Stewardship. You share our vision to minimize the environmental impact of our operations and support the community-building initiatives that align with our values.
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, send your resume along with a program application essay outlining why you would be the ideal candidate to JumpStart! into an exciting career of commercial underwriting to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is January 10, 2024.
Chosen candidates will be invited to attend an in-person event on January 16, 2024, from 1:00 – 3:00, where you can learn more about our program and we can get to know you better.
We thank all who apply for their interest; only those chosen to attend the event will be contacted.