We are a fast-paced insurance Managing General Agency that provides innovative underwriting solutions for our network of brokers across Canada. Our success is based on our innovation and service. We are seeking an Underwriter to join our growing team.
Working as part of a team, you are responsible for analyzing the acceptability of business opportunities according to company guidelines. This includes reviewing and pricing of new submissions, renewal business and endorsements. You will work collaboratively with the team leader, colleagues, and management to provide value added expertise and exceptional service to our broker partners.
As an Intermediate Underwriter (Personal Lines), you will help drive the growth and profitability of SPGC. You will build broker relationships and leverage your expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers, and executives, we provide an extensive array of products, ample capacity, and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, you will work collaboratively with your colleagues and management to provide value added expertise and exceptional service to our broker partners.
- Perform risk analysis using internal and external data resources for the purpose of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk of a low to moderate complexity;
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including attending industry related seminars and networking events as necessary;
- Be a proactive member of the underwriting team, maintain standards for productivity and service expectations for new business;
- Negotiate coverage and price with brokers within established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters;
- Complete loss reports and post-claim underwriting reviews.
- Maintain compliance with established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters;
- Communicate decisions and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner;
- Accept, reject, endorse, renew or cancel low to moderate policies following organization’s guidelines and procedures within authority level;
- Maintaining service level agreements with brokerages;
- Intermediate level of annual production; and
- Assisting in broker visits and company events for Sr. Staff.
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant experience in personal or commercial underwriting;
- Take full ownership of work-related activities; follows through on commitments; maintains confidentiality with sensitive information;
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines following company guidelines as well as in a team-oriented approach to accomplish goals;
- Deal effectively with pressure, maintains a positive outlook and recover quickly from setbacks;
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks in order to deliver desired outcomes within allocated time frames;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to execute as per instructions and guidelines;
- A Chartered Insurance Professional designation (CIP) (or are actively pursuing); and
- A broker license (level 1 or 2), or ability to qualify for a license.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
The expected salary range for this position is $40,000 to $65,000 and will be impacted by factors such as the successful candidate’s skills, experience and working location, as well as the specific position’s business line, scope and level. Specialty Program Group Canada and affiliated brands is proud to offer comprehensive benefit and total compensation packages which include extended health and dental benefits, disability insurance, RRSP matching, paid time off benefits, and a variety of potential bonus opportunities.
Interested? Apply Today:
If you are looking to join a company where you can proudly bring your authentic self to work, we invite you to apply today. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion means that whoever you are, and whatever path you’ve taken to get here, we value you at SPGC. We know that diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, interests, and skills are essential to build a great community that serves ALL people. If you can help drive success and have fun while doing it, we can’t wait to meet you!
Interested applicants are asked to send your cover letter and resume. You can also send your resume to email@example.com. Please note that only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.