INTERMEDIATE / SENIOR UNDERWRITER
Want to use your expertise to solve problems for brokers & their customers? Looking for a company where you can really make a difference? Tired of long commutes to the office? Interested in a signing bonus of up to $5,000? We are looking for our next specialist in our Manufacturing team. Are you the one?
We’re a growing company focused on creating an exceptional experience for our brokers and employees. Work-life balance is part of our values and we’ve embraced work-from-home and hybrid work models. We support and reward the success of our team members! Working as part of a team, you will drive growth by building strong broker relationships, delivering an exceptional broker experience, and using our outstanding products to solve problems. Our manufacturing team manages a diverse book and supports brokers across Canada. This growing team needs an experienced and ambitious candidate looking to make a difference. Cansure is a leading supplier of property and casualty insurance in Canada, providing innovative underwriting solutions to licensed brokers across Canada. We offer the broadest range of products serving many business sectors, including Hospitality, Recreation & Resorts, Construction (COC), Contractors, Professional Services, Manufacturing, Wholesale, Retail, Automotive Trades, Real Estate, Transportation and more. Our experts write even the toughest risks and solve small problems in what might otherwise be a standard risk.
As a Senior Commercial Underwriter, you will drive growth and profitability. You will build broker relationships and use your expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers, and executives, we have an extensive range of products, abundant limits, and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, you work collaboratively with your colleagues and management to deliver value added solutions and exceptional service to our broker partners.
- Perform risk analysis using internal and external data resources for the purpose of quoting, negotiating and authorizing business opportunities of a moderate to high complexity;
- Develop and support professional business partnerships with brokers by providing prompt service, responding to inquiries, acting pro-actively and taking ownership of issues and resolving them with a solution-oriented approach;
- Pursue and achieve production targets;
- Travel occasionally to meet with brokers and others to promote our business and identify business opportunities;
- Make decisions based on imperfect information;
- Communicate decisions and respond in a prompt and professional manner;
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including attending industry-related seminars and networking events as necessary;
- Negotiate coverage with brokers within and delegated authority parameters;
- Manage, strengthen and grow a book of profitable business;
- Handle endorsement requests within delegated authority. Independently engages with broker to clarify intent of the request or seek missing information;
- Maintain compliance with established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters; Work independently to meet deadlines following company guidelines to accomplish goals;
- Take ownership of work-related activities and follow through on your commitments;
- Deal effectively with pressure, maintains a positive outlook and recover quickly from setbacks;
- Prioritize and complete tasks to deliver desired outcomes within allocated time frames;
- Take personal responsibility and action toward learning and implementing new ideas, method, and technologies;
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
- Exhibit good decision-making and analytical skills;
- Mentor and train less experienced team members, if required;
- Think strategically, formulate objectives and set priorities, and implement plans consistent with the long-term interests of the company;
- Document assigned files ensuring completeness, compliance, and quality to meet the documentation standards. Keep paper-free environment by uploading the documents on our company software; and
- Complete loss reports and post-claim underwriting reviews.
You’re a good fit if you have:
- Have at least 5 years of relevant experience in commercial underwriting or 10 years of commercial brokering experience;
- Hold a Charted Insurance Professional (CIP) designation (or are actively pursuing); Hold a broker license (Level 1 or 2), or can qualify for a license within 90 days;
- Have existing relationships within the industry you can leverage to attract business opportunities and grow your portfolio;
- Have advanced knowledge in one of our business segments and/or lines of business;
- Can lead a business development meeting with a broker to strengthen the existing relationship and prospect for new opportunities;
- Have attended insurance industry events, such as broker conventions and networking events;
By joining Cansure, you’ll become part of a rapidly growing company focused on providing innovative insurance solutions to support independent brokers in Canada. As a member of our team, you’ll benefit from:
- Sign-in bonus
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time-off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
The expected salary range for this position is from $70,000 and above, and will be impacted by factors such as the successful candidate’s skills, experience and working location, as well as the specific position’s business line, scope and level. Specialty Program Group Canada and affiliated brands is proud to offer comprehensive benefit and total compensation packages which include extended health and dental benefits, disability insurance, RRSP matching, paid time off benefits, and a variety of potential bonus opportunities.
Interested applicants are asked to send your cover letter and resume. Please note that only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.